FAIRHAVEN — The owner of the town’s two wind turbines resumed full operations of the machines Tuesday night in defiance of the Board of Health’s June order that the turbines be shut off between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Turbine manager Gordon Deane, in a statement released Tuesday night, said officials of Fairhaven Wind, which owns the turbines, decided to turn them back on after a meeting of the health board earlier in the day. During that session, the board failed to reach a consensus on a proposal submitted by Fairhaven Wind to address concerns about the turbines’ noise levels.
The details of that proposal have not been made public and the Board of Health discussed it in a closed-door meeting.
Deane’s statement said the proposal dealt with interim operation of the turbines while the Board of Health continues to study the issue.
“The proposal followed the outline provided by the Board of Health to Fairhaven Wind, and should have met all of the Board of Health’s conditions,” Deane said. “Unfortunately, the unwillingness or inability of the Board of Health to work with the other parties, including the Board of Selectmen, is preventing any progress.”
The statement goes on to say that the turbines will be operating around the clock until Fairhaven Wind has a public hearing in front of the Board of Health “or the parties reach some other acceptable form of compromise.”
Reached at home Tuesday evening, Peter DeTerra, chairman of the Board of Health, said he had not yet seen Deane’s statement and would need to “look into it” before commenting.
Charlie Murphy, chairman of the Board of Selectman and the board’s negotiating representative on the turbine contract, could not immediately be reached for comment.
For his part, Selectman Geoffrey Haworth said the issue is in the health board’s hands because selectmen don’t have control “over the startup and shutdown of the turbines.” Continue reading, here….
Ariel Wittenberg — South Coast Today — July 24, 2013